Do you intend to set up a one-person economic activity, but you do not know how to register it? There are different ways to do that – you may, inter alia, complete the electronic application “CEIDG-1”, via your electronic banking system (PKO and mBank), complete the application via the Internet, and sign it personally in the office. Please bear in mind that you must possess either the Trusted Profile or the qualified signature to do that. You may also appoint a proxy to submit the application. Please choose the easiest way for you. The entry in the Central Registration and Information on Business is free of charge.
Please read this article to learn
- what you should do before registering your economic activity
- how you can register the economic activity via the Internet
- when you must register as VAT payer
- that it is possible to complete the application “CEIDG-1” electronically and sign it in the office
- how to register an economic activity via the electronic banking system;
- whom to call in case of problems with the completion of the application “CEIDG-1”
- how to register an economic activity through a proxy
- what to do after the registration;
- where the data of your business will be publically available.
Before you start
Before the registration, please make sure that you have decided on all the important matters:
- you know when you intend to start your activity – to register an economic activity, you must complete the application “CEIDG-1”, one of the fields to complete refers to the starting date (it may be both a future and past date – example: you submit the application “CEIDG-1” on Tuesday, 12 December; you may put the dates of both 11 December and 13 December as the starting date);
- you have chosen a business name – please bear in mind that the business name must contain your name and surname
- you have chosen codes of the PCA which are related to your economic activity – check the PCA codes;
- you have decided whether you wish/must open a corporate bank account
- you have decided on the tax treatment – all you need to know about VAT, the selection of the tax treatment, forms of the corporate income tax treatment;
- you have decided on who will keep the accounting books – you must state in the application “CEIDG-1” who will keep the accounting books, while you have the following options to choose: appointing an accounting firm, employing an accountant and keeping the accounting books independently.
Registering an economic activity via the Internet
To register an economic activity via the Internet, you must complete and submit an application on the following Internet website: CEIDG. In case of any problems with the completion of the application, you may contact the Helpline. A consultant will answer your questions.
Please bear in mind that to submit and sign the application “CEIDG-1” electronically, you must possess:
In the application “CEIDG-1”, you must state:
- your personal data (name, surname, Personal Identification Number (PESEL), etc.)
- your address of residence and addresses of the economic activity
- the chosen business name
- the PCA codes related to the economic activity
- the number of employees
- data concerning social security and health insurance
- the chosen personal income tax treatment
- the address of the place where the accounting records of the applicant will be stored
- the data of the bank accounts
- information on the potential proxy.
Registering an economic activity via the Internet – step by step
- Create the free Trusted Profile or purchase the qualified signature.
- Log in on the Internet website of the Central Registration and Information on Business. If you do not have an account in the system yet, you may register at any time (on the homepage, select “Log in” and then “Open a new account”).
- Once logged in, select “Set up an economic activity”.
- On the Internet website “Set up an economic activity”, you will see (selected by default) fields concerning the way in which the application is to be prepared:
- Preliminary preparation of the data – new application;
- Method for preparing the application – complete the form to prepare the application (with the option to attach additional reports to the Social Insurance Institution);
- Additional options – no options available.
Please write the code in the picture and select “Next”.
- Complete the application “CEIDG-1” – completing the electronic application “CEIDG-1” is much faster than the paper one. There are hits to more difficult fields. Empty fields or those with incorrect data (eg with the incorrect Personal Identification Number (PESEL) will be highlighted in red. Before submitting the application, the system will verify if all fields have been filled in.
- If you state in the application “CEIDG-1” that you do not possess the Tax Identification Number (NIP) and the Business Identification Number (REGON), you will receive them to your e-mail address automatically. No additional formalities are required. The waiting time is approx. 1 week. The application “CEIDG-1” also becomes an application for Tax Identification Number (NIP) and the Business Identification Number (REGON). Although the fields (marked with an asterisk) are obligatory, you are not required to complete them.
- In field 12.2, you may select the “ZUS” forms you wish to attach to the application (the field will appear after selecting the insurance with the Social Insurance Institution in field 12). If you do not submit relevant “ZUS” forms with the application “CEIDG-1”, you must to that on your own within 7 days from the starting date of the activity. You may deliver them personally or via the Internet website: pue.zus.pl.
- If you wish or must register as VAT payer, you may attach the registration form “VAT-R” to the application “CEIDG-1". Please bear in mind that you must possess the Tax Identification Number (NIP) to do that.
You will be obliged to register as VAT payer if the value of your sales exceeds the amount of PLN 200,000 in the tax year.
Please check when you are obliged to register as VAT.
- Please sign the application by means of the Trusted Profile or qualified signature. The Official Acknowledgement of Receipt sent to the e-mail address confirms the delivery of the application.
Complete an application via the Internet and sign it in the office
If you do not possess the Trusted Profile or the qualified signature, you may complete an application via the Internet and sign it in the city or municipal hall personally. To do that, you do not have to open an account on the Internet website of the Central Registration and Information on Business.
- Complete an application on the Internet website: ceidg.gov.pl.
- After the application has been completed, a code (number of the application) will appear on the Internet website. Please note it down.
- You do not need to print out the application. You need to visit the city or municipal hall within 7 days and provide the official with the code (number of the application).
- The official will find your application, print it out and ask you to sign it.
Note: In case you sign the application for registration in the Central Registration and Information on Business in the office, the date you sign the document will be the submission date.
Registering an economic activity via the electronic banking system
Customers of the banks mBank and PKO BP may register an economic activity without the necessity to visit the office. The bank mBank also offers this functionality to persons who are not its customers yet. However, if you decide to complete the application, you will become a customer of the bank. You will be opened a corporate bank account by the bank.
Helpline of the Central Registration and Information on Business
If you have concerns that you will not be able to complete the “CEIDG” application, you may ask a consultant for assistance. It is sufficient to refer to the Helpline of the Central Registration and Information on Business.
- Call the Helpline at 801 055 088 or 22 765 67 32. Complete the application together with the consultant.
Registering an economic activity through a proxy
The application for registering in the Central Registration and Information on Business may also be submitted by your proxy. However, the proxy may be appointed only to register an economic activity. To do that, the proxy must deliver the application to the office and sign it in the presence of the official. A hand-written and signed power of attorney is sufficient. In exceptional situation, in case the official is not able to verify the identity of the proxy, he or she may request to deliver a power of attorney certified by a notary.
I have my economic activity register and what is the next step?
Please do not forget to complete several important obligations after the registration, including:
- the registration with the Social Insurance Institution – it may be partly completed upon the registration with the Central Registration and Information on Business
- the registration as VAT payer – if you are to account for VAT (the registration may also be completed upon the registration with the Central Registration and Information on Business)
- the registration of a fiscal cash register
- the entry in the register of regulated activities/permits/licences – to carry out multiple types of economic activity, it is necessary to obtain concrete licences or permits (eg in the catering, passenger transport or construction sector)
Your entry in the Central Registration and Information on Business
You may express your consent for publishing the data of your economic activity in the database of entrepreneurs on the Internet website of the Central Registration and Information on Business. You will be able to access and amend them at any time. Your entry will be visible for all stakeholders (eg an office, customers). So, you will not need a certificate that your activity has been entered in the register. The Central Registration and Information on Business does not publish the following data: Personal Identification Number (PESEL), date of birth and address of residents (unless the same as the place where the economic activity is carried out).