Information and services website for entrepreneurs

Stay of proceedings

Would you like your proceedings to be discontinued and suspended for some time? Submit an application to stay the proceedings. Read below for more information.

How to proceed

This procedure can be completed:

  • at an office
  • by post
  • electronically

What you should know and who can use this service

If the proceedings have been initiated at your request, they may also be suspended at your request. You cannot suspend any proceedings that have been initiated ex officio.

The authority will stay the proceedings if all parties to the proceedings agree to this and the public interest is not endangered.

You can apply to stay the proceedings when it is necessary for you. For example, if you need to gather additional evidence.

Stay of proceedings has the advantage of suspending the time limits.

When your proceedings are stayed, your case will not be resolved. If you would like the proceedings to be conducted again, apply for resuming the stayed proceedings.  As a result, the authority conducting the proceedings will resolve your case.

When you should complete this procedure

You can submit your application at any time during the proceedings - from the beginning of the proceedings until they end with a final decision.

Where you can complete this procedure

You can complete this procedure at:

  • District Medical and Veterinary Chamber
  • District Offices
  • Marshal Offices
  • city/town or commune (gmina) offices
  • Voivodship Labour Offices
  • Voivodship Offices
  • Voivodship Police Headquarters
  • Education Offices
  • Inland Waterway Offices
  • Voivodship Pharmaceutical Inspectorates
  • Voivodship Inspectorates of Agricultural and Food Quality
  • Voivodship Inspectorates of Plant Health and Seed Inspection
  • District Chamber of Nurses and Midwives
  • District Pharmaceutical Chambers
  • Field Offices of Social Insurance Institution (ZUS)
  • Voivodship Inspectorates of Building Control
  • District Inspectorates of Building Control
  • District Sanitary-Epidemiological Stations
  • District Sea Fisheries Inspectorates
  • Regional Water Management Boards
  • cities with poviat status
  • Krajowy Ośrodek Wsparcia Rolnictwa
  • Urząd Ochrony Danych Osobowych
  • Główny Inspektorat Farmaceutyczny
  • Główny Inspektorat Jakości Handlowej Artykułów Rolno-Spożywczych
  • Główny Urząd Miar
  • Główny Inspektorat Weterynarii
  • Komenda Główna Policji
  • Krajowa Izba Doradców Podatkowych
  • Ministerstwo Finansów
  • Ministerstwo Rozwoju i Technologii
  • Ministerstwo Infrastruktury
  • Ministerstwo Rolnictwa i Rozwoju Wsi
  • Ministerstwo Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji
  • Ministerstwo Sprawiedliwości
  • Ministerstwo Klimatu i Środowiska
  • Ministerstwo Zdrowia
  • Narodowy Bank Polski
  • Państwowa Agencja Atomistyki
  • Polski Klub Wyścigów Konnych
  • Urząd Komunikacji Elektronicznej
  • Urząd Lotnictwa Cywilnego
  • Urząd Transportu Kolejowego
  • Wyższy Urząd Górniczy
  • Główny Inspektorat Transportu Drogowego
  • Urząd Patentowy Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej
  • Urząd Rejestracji Produktów Leczniczych, Wyrobów Medycznych i Produktów Biobójczych
  • Urząd Dozoru Technicznego
  • Centrum Organizacyjno-Koordynacyjne do Spraw Transplantacji "POLTRANSPLANT"
  • Generalna Dyrekcja Ochrony Środowiska
  • Krajowa Izba Diagnostów Laboratoryjnych
  • Urząd Komisji Nadzoru Finansowego
  • Polska Agencja Nadzoru Audytowego

The authority competent to examine your application is the authority that is conducting your proceedings.

Enter the chosen location.

What to do step by step

  1. Submit an application to stay the proceedings


Time limit

You can submit your application at any time during the proceedings - from the beginning of the proceedings until they end with a final decision.

  1. The authority will check your application

If the authority finds that the application is missing any elements, it will ask you to supplement them. You will have at least 7 days to do this. Remember that if you do not supplement the missing elements, your application will not be further considered.

If you are not the only party to the proceedings, the authority will notify the other parties of your application. Each party may object to the stay of the proceedings.

The authority will check whether:

  • the reasons given in the application make it possible to stay the proceedings,
  • you are allowed to make such a request - whether you are a party to the proceedings,
  • the stay of the proceedings does put the public interest in danger,
  • the application contains an unequivocal request for staying the proceedings.

  1. You will receive a decision on stay of proceedings

The authority will notify all parties of the decision. If the authority rejects your application, you will receive a decision refusing to stay the proceedings.


You will receive a document as:

How much you will have to pay

The service is free of charge

How long you will have to wait

Your case will be settled within one month. This period may be extended to two months, subject to notification by the official.

How can you appeal

You can submit a complaint against the decision to stay proceedings. You have 7 days to submit such complaint.

If the authority has refused to stay the proceedings, you cannot submit a complaint. Then you can appeal only after the case is completed.

Good to know

During the stay of proceedings, the authority may take actions to protect human life or health or to prevent serious harm to the public interest.

Stay of proceedings suspends the time limits provided for in the Code of Administrative Procedure.

If, within 3 years from the stay of proceedings, none of the parties submits an application to resume the proceedings, the authority will discontinue the proceedings.

Stay of proceedings ex officio

The authority may stay the proceedings ex officio:

  • in the event of the death of a party or one of the parties, where the heirs of the deceased party cannot be summoned to participate in the proceedings and the proceedings are not discontinued as pointless, or
  • in the event of the death of a party's legal representative, or
  • if the party or its legal representative loses legal capacity, or
  • where the examination of the case and the final decision depend on the prior resolution of the preliminary question by another authority or court.

Was this page useful?