How to handle a matter in the office

Implementing and developing your business, on a number of occasions you will contact the authorities with a view to handle an official matter.  On the website you can find out how to step-by-step and in which office deal with issues related to the conduct of your business.

Go to the section Find the service and select a matter you are interested in.

You are afraid that handling the official matter requires filling out a number of paper forms and long queues?  Unnecessarily.  Most of the issues relating to, inter alia, the establishment of a company, payment of taxes and contributions to ZUS, can be completed electronically.  Using the ePUAP portal and contact point integrated with it, each entrepreneur has easy access to the services offered by the administration and is able to promptly handle matters necessary for the conduct of activity.

You only have to submit an on-line application to the competent authority.  You can check what matters can be handled online via

How to handle a matter online

If you want to find out more about how to handle official matters online, please read the article Handle a matter online.  You will find information on the most popular e-government systems relevant to business.

Please note that when you contact authorities, an electronic signature or a trusted profile will be useful to handle a matter. 

Search for a competent authority

You can use search engine of offices, which will allow you to find the addressee of official documents.

Matters handled by an attorney-in-fact

Remember that you can use the attorney-in-fact when you handle official matters.  For more information, see the article on the power of attorney.

If you want to know how to implement a case on by an attorney-in-fact, we recommend the article Handle a matter on online by an attorney-in-fact .

Contacts with the administration - rules

The method in which the office will handle your matter  depends on its nature. The administrative procedure, concerning issues such as e.g. construction matters, health, road, forestry, agricultural, industrial and environmental issues, are governed by the provisions of the Code of Administrative Procedure. It contains rules of conduct in the matter of complaints and proposals with the State authorities (e.g. a ministry) and local and regional authorities (e.g. municipalities) and social organisation bodies (association, foundation).

Please read the guide Handling a matter in the office in accordance with the Code of Administrative Procedure and see the details on the rules for contacts with the offices in accordance with the Code of Administrative Procedure.  You can find out there, what are the rules for applying for authorisations, for the submission of applications.

Please note, however, that the Code of Administrative Procedure shall not be used in tax proceedings.  In these cases there are provisions of the Tax CodeFind out more about the handling of taxation matters under the Tax Code.

Depending on the nature of your case, specific rules may apply, for instance, the deadline for handling cases. In the descriptions of the services you can find the exact legal bases for each of the service and the time limit within which they should be settled.

No need for the certificate proving the facts known to the office

When contacting the offices, remember that the offices may not require the certificate to confirm the facts, which are known to the authority ‘ex officio' or it is possible to easily establish them by authority.

In accordance with Article 220 of the Act of 14 June 1960 on the Code of Administrative Procedure, a public administrative authority may not demand the certificate or statement to confirm the facts or the legal position in a situation where:

  • they are known to the authority ex officio;
  • they are possible to be established by the authority on the basis of:
  • registers, records or data, public registers held by other public entities to which the authority has access electronically on the terms defined in the provisions of the Act of 17 February 2005 on computerisation of the work of body discharging public duties,
  • exchange of information with other public bodies on the terms defined in the provisions on computerisation of the work of bodies discharging public duties,
  • official documents submitted by the person concerned for inspection (identity card, registration certificates and others).  As can be seen from the above, public authorities are entitled to receive information from other authorities, without involvement of the applicant.

A public administration body requesting from the party or other participant concerned a certificate or declaration to confirm facts or the legal situation, is obliged to indicate the legal provision requiring the official confirmation of these facts or legal situation by means of a certificate or declaration. Scope of that provision has been progressively widened and now refers to different types of documents — in addition to the certificates and declarations it also applies to documents proving payment of fees and costs of proceedings and other documents.

Disputes with administration authorities

In communication with public administration disputes may arise.  You do not have to agree with every decision - you have the right to appeal against any administrative decision.  In the article Disputes with the authorities you can find out more on this subject.  Detailed information can be found in the guides  I want to handle a matter in the office (under the Tax Ordinance) and  I want to handle a matter in the office (in accordance with the Code of Administrative Procedure).

Public registers

Public register is, in accordance with the provisions, register, record, list, inventory or another form of records for the execution of public tasks, performed by a public entity on the basis of separate statutory provisions.  Records are required for effective and efficient implementation of public tasks and to ensure the smooth operation of internal communication of public administration.  If you want to know more about registers and rules on the access to them, go to the article Public registers.

Share Print