Information and services website for entrepreneurs

Stay of proceedings

Would you like your proceedings to be discontinued and suspended for some time? Submit an application for suspension of proceedings. See below for more information.

How to proceed

This procedure can be completed:

  • at an office
  • by post
  • electronically

What you should know and who can use this service

If the proceedings have started at your request, it may also be suspended at your request. You cannot suspend proceedings that have been started ex officio.

The authority will suspend the proceedings if all parties to the proceedings agree and the public interest is not endangered.

You can apply for suspension if you need it. For example, you need to supplement the evidence.

Suspension of proceedings has the advantage of stopping the running of time.

When proceedings are suspended, your case will not be resolved. If you would like the proceedings to be pursued again, apply for taking up the suspended proceedings.  As a result, the authority conducting the proceedings will resolve your case.

When you should complete this procedure

You can submit your application at any time during the proceedings - from the beginning to the end of the proceedings with a final decision.

Where you can complete this procedure

You can complete this procedure at:

  • District Medical and Veterinary Chamber
  • District Offices
  • Marshal Offices
  • city/town or commune (gmina) offices
  • Voivodship Labour Offices
  • Voivodship Offices
  • Voivodship Police Headquarters
  • Education Offices
  • Inland Waterway Offices
  • Voivodship Pharmaceutical Inspectorates
  • Voivodship Inspectorates of Agricultural and Food Quality
  • Voivodship Inspectorates of Plant Health and Seed Inspection
  • District Chamber of Nurses and Midwives
  • District Pharmaceutical Chambers
  • Field Offices of Social Insurance Institution (ZUS)
  • Voivodship Inspectorates of Building Control
  • District Inspectorates of Building Control
  • District Sanitary-Epidemiological Stations
  • District Sea Fisheries Inspectorates
  • Regional Water Management Boards
  • cities with poviat status
  • Krajowy Ośrodek Wsparcia Rolnictwa
  • Urząd Ochrony Danych Osobowych
  • Główny Inspektorat Farmaceutyczny
  • Główny Inspektorat Jakości Handlowej Artykułów Rolno-Spożywczych
  • Główny Urząd Miar
  • Główny Inspektorat Weterynarii
  • Komenda Główna Policji
  • Krajowa Izba Doradców Podatkowych
  • Ministerstwo Finansów
  • Ministerstwo Rozwoju, Pracy i Technologii
  • Ministerstwo Infrastruktury
  • Ministerstwo Rolnictwa i Rozwoju Wsi
  • Ministerstwo Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji
  • Ministerstwo Sprawiedliwości
  • Ministerstwo Klimatu i Środowiska
  • Ministerstwo Zdrowia
  • Narodowy Bank Polski
  • Państwowa Agencja Atomistyki
  • Polski Klub Wyścigów Konnych
  • Urząd Komunikacji Elektronicznej
  • Urząd Lotnictwa Cywilnego
  • Urząd Transportu Kolejowego
  • Wyższy Urząd Górniczy
  • Główny Inspektorat Transportu Drogowego
  • Urząd Patentowy Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej
  • Urząd Rejestracji Produktów Leczniczych, Wyrobów Medycznych i Produktów Biobójczych
  • Urząd Dozoru Technicznego
  • Centrum Organizacyjno-Koordynacyjne do Spraw Transplantacji "POLTRANSPLANT"
  • Komisja Nadzoru Audytowego
  • Generalna Dyrekcja Ochrony Środowiska
  • Krajowa Izba Diagnostów Laboratoryjnych
  • Urząd Komisji Nadzoru Finansowego

The authority competent to examine your application is the authority that is conducting your proceedings.

Enter the chosen location.

What to do step by step

  1. Submit an application for stay of proceedings


Time limit

You can submit your application at any time during the proceedings - from the beginning to the end of the proceedings with a final decision.

  1. The authority will check your application

if the body notices deficiencies, it will ask you to rectify them. You will have at least 7 days to complete the deficiency. Remember that if you do not complete them, your application will not be considered any further.

If you are not the only party to the proceedings, the authority will notify the other parties of your application. Each party may object to the suspension of proceedings.

The authority will check whether:

  • the reasons given in the application make it possible to suspend the proceedings,
  • you can make such a request - whether you are a party to the proceedings,
  • the suspension of proceedings does not threaten the public interest,
  • the application contains an unequivocal request for stay of proceedings.

  1. You will receive a decision to suspend the proceedings

The authority will notify all parties of the decision. If the authority rejects your application, you will receive a decision refusing to suspend the proceedings.


You will receive a document as:

How much you will have to pay

The service is free of charge

How long you will have to wait

Your case will be settled within one month. This period may be extended to two months, subject to notification by the official.

How can you appeal

You can lodge a complaint against the decision to suspend the proceedings. You have 7 days to make a complaint.

If the suspension of proceedings is refused, you cannot make a complaint. Then you can appeal only after the case is completed.

Good to know

During the stay of proceedings, the authority may take action to protect human life or health or to prevent serious harm to the public interest.

Suspension of proceedings shall stop the time limits provided for in the Code of Administrative Procedure.

If, within 3 years from the suspension of proceedings, none of the parties submits an application to initiate proceedings, the authority shall discontinue the proceedings.

Suspension of proceedings "ex officio".

The authority may suspend the proceedings ex officio in a case:

  • the death of a party or one of the parties, where the heirs of the deceased party cannot be summoned to participate in the proceedings and the proceedings are not remitted as pointless, or
  • the death of a party's legal representative, or
  • the party or its legal representative loses legal capacity, or
  • where the examination of the case and the issuing of a decision depend on the prior resolution of the preliminary question by another authority or court.

Was this page useful?