Information and services website for entrepreneurs

Application for discontinuance of proceedings

If for any reason you are no longer interested in continuing the proceedings and obtaining a substantive decision - you can demand discontinuance of the proceedings. This allows you to withdraw from the proceedings. Read below how to do this.

How to proceed

This procedure can be completed:

  • at an office
  • by post
  • electronically

What you should know and who can use this service

You can discontinue the proceedings that started at your request.
You can also request that proceedings initiated ex officio be discontinued but only if the office needs your permission to proceed.

The authority will discontinue the proceedings when:

  • the proceedings have started at your request,
  • the other parties to the proceedings do not object to this,
  • it does not jeopardise the public interest.

By submitting the application, you waive receiving a decision in which the authority would resolve the matter concerning your legal interest or obligation. This does not mean that this legal interest or obligation ceases to exist. If you are not interested in obtaining a decision now, it does not mean you may not obtain it in the future.

Discontinuance of the proceedings at second instance

You can also apply for discontinuance of the proceedings if your case is pending at the second instance. In such  extraordinary (appeal) proceedings, you may demand the appeal to be withdrawn or the entire proceedings (in the first and second instance) be discontinued.

When you should complete this procedure

You may submit your application at any time during the administrative proceedings - from the initiation until the final decision.

Where you can complete this procedure

You can complete this procedure at:

  • District Medical and Veterinary Chamber
  • District Offices
  • Marshal Offices
  • city/town or commune (gmina) offices
  • Voivodship Labour Offices
  • Voivodship Offices
  • Voivodship Police Headquarters
  • Education Offices
  • Inland Waterway Offices
  • Voivodship Pharmaceutical Inspectorates
  • Voivodship Inspectorates of Agricultural and Food Quality
  • Voivodship Inspectorates of Plant Health and Seed Inspection
  • District Chamber of Nurses and Midwives
  • District Pharmaceutical Chambers
  • Voivodship Inspectorates of Building Control
  • District Inspectorates of Building Control
  • District Sanitary-Epidemiological Stations
  • District Sea Fisheries Inspectorates
  • cities with poviat status
  • Krajowy Ośrodek Wsparcia Rolnictwa
  • Urząd Ochrony Danych Osobowych
  • Główny Inspektorat Farmaceutyczny
  • Główny Inspektorat Jakości Handlowej Artykułów Rolno-Spożywczych
  • Główny Urząd Miar
  • Główny Inspektorat Weterynarii
  • Komenda Główna Policji
  • Krajowa Izba Doradców Podatkowych
  • Ministerstwo Finansów
  • Ministerstwo Rozwoju i Technologii
  • Ministerstwo Infrastruktury
  • Ministerstwo Rolnictwa i Rozwoju Wsi
  • Ministerstwo Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji
  • Ministerstwo Sprawiedliwości
  • Ministerstwo Klimatu i Środowiska
  • Ministerstwo Zdrowia
  • Narodowy Bank Polski
  • Państwowa Agencja Atomistyki
  • Polski Klub Wyścigów Konnych
  • Urząd Komunikacji Elektronicznej
  • Urząd Lotnictwa Cywilnego
  • Urząd Transportu Kolejowego
  • Wyższy Urząd Górniczy
  • Główny Inspektorat Transportu Drogowego
  • Urząd Patentowy Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej
  • Urząd Dozoru Technicznego
  • Centrum Organizacyjno-Koordynacyjne do Spraw Transplantacji "POLTRANSPLANT"
  • Generalna Dyrekcja Ochrony Środowiska
  • Krajowa Izba Diagnostów Laboratoryjnych
  • Urząd Komisji Nadzoru Finansowego
  • Polska Agencja Nadzoru Audytowego

Application should be submitted to the authority conducting the proceedings in the given administrative case.

Enter the chosen location.

What to do step by step

  1. Submit an application for discontinuance of proceedings

Submit your application to the authority conducting your proceedings.

You do not have to give reasons for your request or state the reason why you are no longer interested in obtaining a substantive decision. Simply write in the application that you do not want your case to continue. If you do decide to substantiate your request for discontinuance, you can state any circumstance that has made you file it.


Time limit

You may submit your application at any time during the administrative proceedings - from the initiation until the final decision.

  1. The authority will check your application

If the authority identifies any deficiencies, it will ask you to remedy them within at least 7 days. Remember that if you do not complete them, your application will not be considered further.

If you are not the only party to the proceedings, the authority is obliged to notify the other parties of your application. Each party shall have the right to object.

  1. You will obtain a decision

If your request has been acknowledged by the authority, it terminates the proceedings by way of a decision to discontinue the proceedings.

If the authority has not complied with your requests, the authority will continue the proceedings by administrative decision. Then you will not receive an administrative decision refusing to discontinue the proceedings. You can only appeal if the authority has decided on your case and issued a decision.


You will receive a document as:

How much you will have to pay

The service is free of charge

How long you will have to wait

Your case will be settled within one month. This period may be extended to two months, subject to notification by the official.

How can you appeal

If the authority has not complied with the request to discontinue the proceedings, you can appeal only after the authority has resolved your case and issued a final decision.

If the proceedings have been discontinued, and you would like the authority to continue conducting the proceedings, you can appeal against the decision to discontinue the proceedings. Submit your appeal to a higher-level body, unless the law provides for another appeal body. If the decision was issued in the first instance by a minister or local government appeals board - you cannot appeal, but you can apply to this body to have the case reconsidered.

The appeal does not require any detailed reasoning. Simply write that you are not satisfied with the decision. Specific provisions may lay down other requirements as to the contents of the appeal.

You have 14 days to appeal against the decision.

Specific provisions may provide for other time-limits for appeal.

You may also waive the right to appeal to the issuing body. Then, on the date of service to the authority of the statement of waiver of the right to appeal by the last party to the proceedings, the decision becomes final and binding.

Was this page useful?