If you wish to start business activity as a sole trader or perform services in the form of self-employment, you should submit an application for entry in the Central Register and Information on Economic Activity (CEIDG).
How to proceed
This procedure can be completed:
- at an office
- by post
What you should know and who can use this service
The Central Register and Information on Economic Activity (CEIDG) is a business register with information on entrepreneurs running their own business as sole traders (self-employed) in Poland. If you wish to operate as a sole trader, you must register in CEIDG.
This register includes only entries on entrepreneurs who are:
What you need to know before applying for entry in CEIDG
In order to complete the registration quickly and without problems, prepare all the necessary data before filling in the application. In the application you need to state:
- your name and surname, names of the parents, date and place of birth
- type, series and number of your identity document
- PESEL (personal identification no.) – if you are a Polish citizen or if you have been assigned a PESEL number
- all your citizenships
- NIP number (tax identification no.) and REGON (statistical identification no.), if assigned
- your residence address and other addresses related to the business activity you wish to register
- business name – it must include your name and surname
- abbreviated business name
- PKD codes – provide the PKD codes relevant for your business activity, including the code for your main business activity
- number of employees you plan to employ
- start date of your business activity
- information on being insured with the Social Insurance Institution (ZUS), the Agricultural Social Insurance Fund (KRUS) or in another country
- information on the tax office relevant for your place of residence
Please note! If you do not have a PESEL number, please check the box: “I do not have a PESEL number”. If you already have your NIP (tax identification no.) and REGON (business identification no.), you may include them on the form. If you do not have them yet, the submitted form will be also an application to assign you a NIP and a REGON number. The NIP and REGON will be added to your entry automatically and you may find them using the CEIDG search engine once your business is registered.
Together with the application you need to submit a statement to confirm that you are not prohibited from conducting business activity and that you hold the title to the properties whose addresses are entered in CEIDG.
Matters you may also complete while submitting an application for entry in CEIDG
When submitting an application for entry in CEIDG, you may also submit a statement on the form of income tax payment, an application for flat rate tax (karta podatkowa), and you may also attach an application to register as a VAT payer or to update your VAT payer status.
Being an entrepreneur, you need to register with ZUS as an insured person. You may complete this procedure by attaching appropriate forms to the CEIDG form. Additionally, you may also apply for social insurance for your family members, your employees and their family members. If you are a farmer, you may submit an appropriate statement to KRUS.
In your application for entry in CEIDG you may also include information on your bank accounts related to your business activity. As an entrepreneur, you are required to notify that you have opened or closed any bank account related to your business activity.
If you wish to complete the formal procedures related with your business activity through an attorney-in-fact, you may also attach an application to include the information on your attorney-in-fact in CEIDG. Once such information is published, it has the same effect as a power of attorney in writing. The fact that your attorney-in-fact is indicated in CEIDG does not entitle him/her to represent you in tax matters.
When you should complete this procedure
Before starting your business activity.
Where you can complete this procedure
You can complete this procedure at:
- city/town or commune (gmina) offices
- district offices of the capital city of Warsaw
- cities with poviat status
The application for entry in CEIDG may be submitted online.
If you wish to apply for an entry in CEIDG at an office, visit any city/town or district (gmina) office. There you may sign an electronic application which you have completed on the CEIDG website, or you may fill in and submit an application on paper. In order to find your nearest office, enter your city/town/village below.
What to do step by step
Submit your application for entry in CEIDG
There are 3 ways to submit your application to CEIDG
- at Biznes.gov.pl – log in with the Trusted Profile and fill in the application with the online tool. All you need to do is tick the options that apply to you and enter the requested information. The system will then prepare your application for entry in the register of entrepreneurs, as well as the forms for ZUS/KRUS, GUS (Statistics Poland) and the tax office. Sign the application using your Trusted Profile or a qualified electronic signature.
- on the CEIDG website – register on the CEIDG website, fill in the CEIDG-1 form and sign it using your Trusted Profile or a qualified electronic signature. If you do not have an account on the CEIDG website yet, use these instructions (in Polish) that describe the registration process step by step.
If you intend to be a VAT payer and you already have your NIP, you may attach an application to register as a VAT payer or to update your VAT payer status (VAT-R) to the CEIDG-1 form submitted online or through CEIDG. Sign the application and the VAT-R form using your Trusted Profile or a qualified electronic signature.
- through online banking – you may submit your application also through online banking of selected banks
The following banks offer this online service:
However, remember that an application submitted through online banking concerns only the entry in CEIDG. You still need to register with ZUS or as a VAT payer at a relevant office or online through PUE ZUS or Tax Portal.
Please note! If you choose to submit your application online, you may not do it through an attorney-in-fact.
At an office
You may submit your application in person at any city/town/district (gmina) office. The clerk will confirm the receipt of your application and enter the data from your application in the CEIDG system on the next day at the latest. Remember to take your ID with you as you will need to confirm your identity.
There are 4 ways to prepare the application:
- Fill in the form on the CEIDG website. This may be done anonymously, without creating a user account. You do not need to print the form out. Just remember the code, that is your application number which will be visible on the CEIDG website once the form is completed. At the office, the clerk will use this code to find your application in the CEIDG system. The form will be printed out for you to sign and then the clerk will confirm that the application has been submitted in the system.
- Ask for the appropriate form at the office. Fill it in and sign it.
- Use the CEIDG website to download the form. Fill it in, print it out and sign it before your visit at the office.
- Call the Help Centre (801 055 088 or 22 765 67 32). A consultant will help you fill in the application. After the call, you will receive an SMS with a code (your application number). You will need this code at the city/town/district (gmina) office. At the office, the clerk will print out the application for you to sign.
The application may be submitted at the office by an attorney-in-fact appointed under general rules. Read about registering a business through an attorney-in-fact.
The filled in application may be submitted by registered letter. In such case it should bear the applicant’s hand-written signature certified by a notary.
You can submit a document as:
Before starting your business activity.
The office will check your application
If the application submitted by you online is incorrect, the CEIDG ICT system will notify you about this.
If you submitted the application in person or by registered letter at the selected office and it was found incorrect, the office will immediately notify you and request that you correct or complete the data as specified, within 7 working days from such notification.
Your business will be entered in CEIDG
An entry on your business will appear in CEIDG no later than on the next working day after submitting the application. You may start your business activity already on the day of submitting the application for entry to CEIDG.
CEIDG will send your data to the tax office which will assign you a NIP number and notify GUS (Statistics Poland), ZUS (or KRUS) about the entry in CEIDG and the assigned NIP.
No later than on the next working day after the date of submitting the application for entry in CEIDG.
How much you will have to pay
Submitting the application for entry in CEIDG is free of charge.
How long you will have to wait
The entry is made once the data are entered in CEIDG, and no later than on the next working day after the date of submitting the application for entry.
Good to know
Other duties upon registration of your business in CEIDG
When registering your business in CEIDG, you will be automatically registered with ZUS as the payer of contributions, and with the tax office as the taxpayer. You should apply for social insurance coverage to ZUS within 7 days of starting business activity.
If you plan to pay VAT, you need to register as a VAT payer no later than on the day preceding the day on which you start selling goods and services subject to VAT. The VAT-R form for VAT registration may be submitted to a relevant tax office or you may attach it to your application for entry in CEIDG. Please note! The VAT-R form may be submitted only if you already have your NIP number.
If your business activity requires a concession, permit, licence or a special authorisation, you need to register your business with a relevant register. Read about regulated business activity here.
If you wish to learn more about how to complete other formal matters related to registration with ZUS or KRUS, fiscal cash registers or regulated business activity – read the article here.
Your entry in CEIDG
Information on your business will be available in the database of entrepreneurs on the CEIDG website. You may easily access or update your business information through the website at any time. Anyone (e.g. a client or an office) may find your entry and thus you will not need any additional certificates to confirm your business is registered (find out how to search for information on entrepreneurs in CEIDG).
Civil law partnership
If you wish to register a civil law partnership, learn about additional registration obligations.